Hi everyone! My name is Molly, I’m 24 years old, and I created this blog as a way to document my progress toward running my first full marathon on April 7, 2012 in Charlottesville, VA. The good news is that, I did it! Read my recap of the Charlottesville marathon here!
Here is a little bit about my background: I grew up playing sports – soccer, basketball, swimming, field hockey – but stopped in college, as I was kept busy with school work and friends. After graduating college in the spring of 2010 and starting a desk job, I knew I needed to create some goals – something to work toward and get myself off my butt.
I chose running for numerous reasons – here are just a few:
- You don’t need much… equipment, experience, money… in order to be a runner!
- Running is one of the bodies most basic movements. Anyone who wants to can run – regardless of age, sex, weight, or height.
- The only person I’m competing against is myself – I chose my goals, my pace, my routes, my time
- You can run pretty much anywhere and anytime – inside, outside, morning, night, snow, rain, sun, heat, tornado, whenever 🙂
- It’s easy to track how far you’ve come by using measurable goals like race times
- You can create a training plan and have races on your calendar to work toward – there is nothing greater to keep yourself accountable than knowing you’ve already signed up and paid
- Endorphins! Enough said!
I started running in the summer of 2010, and I was way out of shape. Long gone were the days of high school field hockey two-a-day practices and timed runs and drills. I started slow and small. In November 2010, I did my first couple of 5k races. I was HOOKED immediately on the rush I got from these races. So in December 2010, I did an 8k. By the spring in March 2011, I did a 10 miler. Then a few months later, in May 2011, I did my first half marathon! And now, as of April 2012, I can officially cross another big race off my list – a full marathon.
I hope you enjoy reading about my experience before, during, and after the Charlottesville marathon 2012!